With the emergence of the dynamic, original, and innovative Narendra Modi as the Prime Minister of India, the geo-strategic landscape of the Asia Pacific Region started taking an altogether different hue. The diplomatic mechanism of the country acquired an unprecedented strategic sophistication. The country which faced multiple threat perceptions including a 2-front war scenario with 2 deadly nuclear neighbors and yet was bereft of a strong strategic culture, got a Prime Minister who unleashed master strokes like inviting SAARC leaders to his swearing in, inviting the US President at the Republic Day celebration, bringing Japan to India, propagating make in India initiative and Digital India Campaign etc. left China and Pakistan dumb founded.
The defensive, passive, unpragmatic and so-called Pacifist policy mechanism was replaced by an Iron-handed approach .Diplomatic chess board was oriented to India’s advantages .Modi unleashed nerve war or psycho war against China, the country which is considered a master in the technique .America was considered to be central to India’s rise as a geo-political, technological and military counterweight to China. Modi mesmerized America .He invited President Obama to India during R-day celebration crossed the nuclear hurdles and opened the defense technological floodgates for India .The DTTI was resurrected for joint development and production of the latest military weapon systems. The direct acquisition route through foreign military sales was also left open.
1) During Obama’s visit 4 new pathfinder projects were announced. These included Raven tactical UAVs and equipments for the gigantic C130 Hercules air craft.
2) Later on India and the US agreed upon the design and construction of a new type of air craft carrier resembling USS Nimitz .The 2 countries also agreed upon a new type of air craft launch system_Electro Magnetic Air craft lauch system. All these will reduce the reaction time to launch air craft from the carrier deck. All these are different from the Russian air craft carrier which India operates.
3) The pathfinder projects also included join development and production of jet engines which are likely to be used for India’s own stealth air craft _AMCA.
4) America has also cleared the export of unarmed Predator XP_UAVs for India. These will be helpful for reconnaissance along the Pakistan & China borders .
5) US has also agreed to provide India with the hot engine technology for air craft which will be helpful for India’s jet fighters in the hot places like Rajasthan & Punjab.
6) India is also going to acquire extended battery pack technologies from the US .This will help the Indian soldiers to keep in contact with their platoons in the battle field without bothering about the batteries running out.
7) The US has also agreed to provide India with the missile launch warning system which will alert the Indian fighter planes about the incoming enemy missile.
Moreover, the 2 countries are relentlessly exploring other areas of high tech co-operation.
America has agreed to update India real time about the presence of Chinese submarines in the Indian Ocean.
In short America is trying to build an anti-China axis in the Asia Pacific region with India as the Pivot .America is encouraging Japan & India to block the march of China through the South China Sea & the Indian Ocean.
Again with the success of India’s MOON & MARS MISSION, I sense the possibilities of ISRO & NASA collaborating on military space projects .The NASA-ISRO Synthetic Aperture Radar (NISAR) is nearing completion.
When I am writing the article the China-wary America has sought deeper co-operation with India in view of the growing disruptive & destructive Chinese counter space capabilities ahead of the first INDO-US space security dialogue. So the China factor is surely going to propel the INDO-US military space co-operation.
Another major shift in India’s foreign policy is Modi’s concentrated effort for engagement with the long neglected island nations of the Indian Ocean Region .Modi has sought to intensify engagement with Sri Lanka, Mauritus, Maldives & Seychelles. To neutralize the Chinese influence in the region the Indian Govt. has decided to cater to the civilian & military needs of the island nations.Modi has signed civilian nuclear deal with the new Sri Lankan Govt...The Sri Lankan Govt. has temporarily suspended the $1.5 billion Chinese city port project. In this way India is weaning Sri Lanka away from China. India has also decided to provide Mauritius with war ships.
During his Japan visit Modi not only attracted a huge Japanese capital in India but also forged a military technological partnership starting with the prospect of joint development and production of the US 2 amphibious air craft__considered to be a technological marvel which can take off from & descend on huge oceanic waves .India has also invited Japan in its submarine building programme. More areas of military technological co-operation are being explored.
Russia has also been given due importance .Considering mountain borders against China & Pakistan, India has decided to replenish its helicopter fleet with various types of helicopters. Both the US & Russia have been roped in in this regard. Apart from the Apache and the Chinook of the Americans India is counting upon the Russian expertise in this field. Russia is being pressed to hand over the FGFAs to India as soon as possible .Russia is likely to continue to contribute to India’s nuclear submarine programme .Considering Russia’s importance Modi overlooked American pressure to condemn Russia’s Ukraine invasion.
Another major shift in India’s foreign policy is India’s growing bonhomie with Israel & its silence on Palestine. India’s major partner in electronic warfare and missile defense systems is being roped in for homeland security & anti-terrorist measures. Israel is more than willing to supply India with the world’s most sophisticated anti-rocket system _Iron Dome.
A visible change in the country’s ideological shift is evident in the country’s Make-In-India & arms export policy. Modi has allowed 49% FDI in defense and in some cutting edge areas even 100%.He has invited foreign countries to set up defense industrial bases in India along with Indian partners.Modi’s call has been greeted with extreme enthusiasm by countries like the US ,Russia ,France & Israel etc. and companies like Boeing, Lockheed Martin,IAI ,Dassault etc. have evinced keen interest in Make-In-India project.
So a new India is emerging wit infinite possibilities of
1) a global military industrial complex,
2) a strong naval power,
3) a buzzing aero-space hub,
4) a strong military technological research station with active participation of Japan the US, Israel, France, Britain & undoubtedly Russia,
5) a strong economy with steady profits from the defense sector.
With all these possibilities India seems to be under a worthy captain. Soon India is going to emerge as Asia Pacific power no.1 from a South Asian Power. The next graduation is a world power. None can stall India’s march .China Watch Out!!!!!!!!!!